I had a craving for grilled avocado: Vegan caprese sandwich with balsamic glaze, grilled avocado and whole wheat bread
I want to say I vegan-ified the standard mozarella caprese salad due to a stroke of genius, but actually I just didn’t have any mozarella in my fridge, so it was whipped soy-yogurt instead - and it was tangy, cool and delicious. But yes! Caprese for breakfast (on the most beautifully nutty, grainy whole grain toast) is always made more awesome with grilled avocado. Ahh.
- Lightly brush thickly sliced avocado with olive oil, and then grill for 5-10 minutes just until the edges start to brown (I actually used a toaster oven for this because #futurecollegekid)
- If your soy-yogurt isn’t already quite thick, just whip it a little to thicken it (or use greek yogurt if you don’t need it to be vegan)
- If you’re okay with a little extra olive oil, brush the whole grain bread lightly with a layer of olive oil and a clove of garlic, and then grill it for 2-3 minutes as well. If not, just toast it like I did!
- For the balsamic glaze, just take 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar and reduce it (put it in a pan and let it thicken on a low heat) for a few minutes, just until it thickens
- Assemble your caprese sandwich by spreading the yogurt on the bread, adding basil and rocket/arugula, layering on the grilled avocado, slices of tomato and then top it with a liberal drizzling of balsamic glaze!